As much as I love my bread maker, I felt the need to make some bread by scratch and bake it in the oven. This recipe is quick, and delicious. I don’t know any other breads that can be made so easily. In fact, the resulting product is such a great breakfast bread that it will fill you up better than a muffin.
Louis got to lick the spoon on this recipe and he gave it two paws up!
RECIPE: Honey Wheat Germ Bread
Makes 1 Loaf
Oven heated to 350
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
Grease for the pan
1) Beat together wet ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Note, the batter will be wet and closer to a banana bread recipe than a regular bread dough.
2) Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
3) Bake in over for 30 minutes. Once you remove it from the oven, let is sit for 10 minutes on the rack.
4) Use a knife to loosen the loaf before removing it from the pan.
5) Slice and serve, or bag it for the rest of the week.
This loaf is a bit sweet from the honey, but not overly so. Its a nice balance between whole wheat and a breakfast treat.