I am sure most vegetarians are sick of black beans and tofu as the only alternatives to meat in tacos. I decided to do something a little different and use mushrooms as the main “protein”. With this recipe, if you take out the cheese, you would have something vegan. So share this recipe with your friends who don’t care for meat, or enjoy yourself when you when you want a break from meat.
RECIPE: Vegetarian Mushroom Tacos
Makes 2 Servings
Cast Iron Pan
Pepper Jack Cheese
1) In a cast iron pan, heat a little bit of avocado oil.
2) Slice mushrooms, peppers, cheese, and scallions.
3) Put mushrooms into the hot pan and stir until they begin to cook, quickly add the hot peppers so that the mushrooms and peppers cook together and share flavors.
4) Add in scallions and season with a little bit of garlic, paprika, and barely a dash of cumin. Go light on seasoning as the pepper and mushroom flavor blend should stand out the most.
5) Layer cheese in the bottom of the tortillas and top with the mushroom mixture. This way the cheese melts under the heat of the mushrooms.