This potato soup was thick and delicious. The addition of the salty bacon on top was just what this soup needed to make it perfect. Served with a slice of homemade focaccia, this was quite a filling dinner.
RECIPE: Potato Soup
Makes 6-8 Servings
Milk or Cream
1) In a large pot, combine water and any vegetable scraps you have been keeping in the freezer. Mine included scraps from carrots, celery, onion peals, garlic bits, and the like.
2) Let everything simmer until a nice vegetable stock as been formed.
3) Strain out all the vegetable scraps or use a slotted spoon to remove them all until its just stock left.
4) Chop up potatoes and add them to the stock. Let them cook until mostly softened.
5) Chop and add a 2 carrots to the pot.
6) Add some dill, black pepper, and cream or milk to the mixture.
7) Use the potato masher to smash the potatoes to your preferred consistency. Some like their soup to be broth with potato chunks while others prefer it all to be a single thick and creamy mixture.
8) Cook up bacon until crispy, then chop and use to top the soup when served in bowls.