When I was making this meal, all I could think of was cup o’ noodles. Of course, this much more a taco cup, but I figured that name was fun. This recipe is light, fresh, and a sure sign that spring is coming. I can’t wait to make this again with fresh tomatoes and peppers from the farmers market (or hopefully my garden!). 2 of these cups was plenty for me, but my husband had 4! The salsa we used as a topping was a gift from one of my coworkers, and this was the perfect meal to use it with.
RECIPE: Cup O’ Taco
Makes 2-3 Servings
Cast iron pan
Jar or bowl
Oven heated to 375
1/2 a large Onion
Pepper Jack Cheese
1) In a muffin, place a tortilla into each muffin whole. Place in the oven and set the oven to heat. When it reaches temperature, remove the pan.
2) Drain and rinse black beans before placing them in a warm cast iron pan.
3) Dice half an onion and add it to the black beans. Add in some canned hot peppers as well.
4) Stir and season the bean mixture with cumin, paprika, cayenne, and a little garlic powder.
5) Spoon the bean mixture evenly between the 6 tortilla cups.
6) Place diced peppers over the bean mixture.
7) Chop some fresh cilantro and slice a bit of pepper jack cheese.
8) Top the cups with the cilantro and cheese and place in the oven to bake.
9) While they are baking, in a jar or bowl combine a scoop of mayo with garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and the smallest dash of paprika. Stir and taste until a good ranch is formed. Thin it out using a bit of milk to pouring consistency.
10) When the cheese is melted and the edge of the tortillas begin to brown, remove from the oven.
11) Serve with the option of homemade ranch of hot salsa for a topping.
The fresh cilantro is really what makes this dish so good! Do not skip!