Sunday mornings are our video game mornings. There is nothing better than regressing into childhood, hanging on the couch, wearing pajamas, and playing a game on our of our consoles. We recently splurged as as gift to each other (we figured it covered Valentines Day for the next few years) and got a Switch. It’s actually a really fun console. For our first Saturday with the Switch, we decided to play Bomberman and eat Bomberman Waffles!
RECIPE: Bomberman Waffles
Makes 4-6 Servings
Electronic Hand Mixer
2 cups Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup shortening, melted
Red Food Coloring
1) In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2) Separate the eggs, with the yolks being added to the flour mixture and the egg whites into the empty bowl.
3) Add the zest of half a lemon, a teaspoon of vanilla, and the milk to the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Add red food coloring to the milk to mimic the explosions of bomberman.
4) Add the melted shortening, after its been cooled, to the batter. Stir to mix.
5) Use the handmixer to beat the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry.
6) Fold the egg whites into the batter with a spatula, gently!
7) Scoop some batter into a preheated waffle maker, sprinkle with chocolate chips to mimic the shrapnel.
8) Serve with syrup, a big mug of milk, and a small bowl of applesauce (got to get those servings of fruit, even when have a kid inspired breakfast)
The result was not only delicious, but perfectly matched to our game. The recipe made a lot of waffles, and they reheat really well in the toaster during the week. We ate breakfast for 3 days between the two of us on this recipe.