My family is well known for their Caesar salad. The recipe began with my Grammy, was passed to my mother who, according to my dad, perfected it. It is the most begged for food from guests when they visit my parents. Heck, even when we get together for holidays, Caesar salad plays a main role at dinner! Cause this is a hearty salad that only need a small meal for a side. There was some surprisingly good romaine lettuce at the store, so we figured that this week was a time to test our own skills at the Caesar salad and it was great!
Now remember, this is a family secret so don’t tell anyone I shared!
RECIPE: Family Secret Caesar Salad
Makes Many to Not so Many Servings
Large Salad Bowl
Oven heated to 300
2 Heads Romaine (minimum)
Red Wine Vinegar
The day before: peel several cloves of garlic (3-5) before placing them in a jar with 1/2 cup or more of olive oil.
1) Cut off a thick slice of country bread and slice it into cubes. Place them on a baking sheet and then drizzle with olive oil. Give them a stir so they are as evenly coated as possible. Season with rosemary, garlic powder, and onion powder.
2) Bake the bread cubes until they become dry and a little browned. Remove them from the oven and let them cool. Once cool, your croutons are ready!
3) Wash the romaine dry it either by rolling it up in a towel or by using a salad spinner (if you have one).
4) Squeeze about half a tube of anchovy paste into the bowl. Using the back of the salad spoon, smooth it over the entire surface.
5) Rip up the romaine into more manageable pieces until the bowl is filled.
6) Sprinkle the following over the lettuce: 1.5 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoon dried mustard, a healthy grinding of black pepper, 6 tablespoons of the garlic oil, and 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
7) Crack the egg into a small bowl until well beaten. Drizzle it over the lettuce.
8) Using the salad spoons, begin mixing the lettuce and everything together. This will take quite a bit of tossing!
9) Add the homemade croutons and 2-3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Give it another little tossing.
10) Serve right away, with the option of extra black pepper or cheese. Extras can be stored for lunch the next day though it will be a little wilted. It is rare that there are leftover though!