My husband was missing Whole Darn Thing, which was a sub shop where we used to live. Unfortunately, our new city has a lack of sandwich shops or good delis. When we asked around, people responded with Panera or Jimmy Johns. I don’t have anything against either establishment, but neither is what I would classify as a good sandwich shop. So we decided to recreate his favorite craving at home.
RECIPE: Sub Shop Sandwiches
Makes 2 Servings
Cast iron pan
Oven set to broil
Pepper Jack Cheese
1) Slice the homemade bread and place it under the broiled to lightly toast.
2) Begin cooking the bacon in the cast iron pan. You want the bacon to been cooked until crispy, but not so crispy it crumbles.
3) Slice the pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese. Slice the onion into thin rings.
4) Layer cheese on on the top piece of bread and let it melt a little bit. I went for cheddar cheese, while he had pepper jack.
5) For his sandwich, I put a little ranch on the bottom slice of bread, topped it with slices of ham, slices of bacon, onion rings, hot peppers, a splash of Italian dressing, lettuce, and then top slice of cheesy bread.
6) For my sandwich, I did horseradish sauce, sliced ham, bacon, extra onion, more horseradish, lettuce, and then top slice of cheesy bread.
7) Cut the sandwiches on the diagonal, and serve with a slice of pickle on the side.
. The sandwich on the left is his and the one on the right is mine. I love the end of loaves, with all of the extra crust! I had to call dibs on that slice for my sandwich, even though he always likes the squishy inside better.