It has been raining all day. Rain always makes me crave comfort foods, like soups and stews. Unfortunately, the rain has not made it any colder and I have no desire to stand and sweat over the stove. To meat my craving for comfort food on this so very hot and rainy day, I thought I would do sloppy joes. It also gave me an excuse to use some of my fridge pickles based on my Grandma Connie’s recipe, and some sweet pickle chips from one of my coworkers.
RECIPE: Fancy Fresh Sloppy Joes
Makes 2 Servings
Cast iron pan
1) Begin cooking the ground beef in a cast iron pan.
2) Roughly chop up a tomato and add it to the pan.
3) Add a very small squirt of ketchup (because the tomato wasn’t quite big enough), 1 teaspoon of worcester sauce, and 1/2 a tablespoon of brown sugar to the meat.
4) Sprinkle with celery seed.
5) Toast the hamburger buns.
6) Plate the strawberries and pickles. My husband liked the fridge pickles on the side, while I opted to put the pickle chips on top of my sandwich.
7) Once the sauce has simmered and thickened, serve on the toasted hamburger bun.
The fresh tomato add to the sloppy joe really kicks it flavor up a notch. The pickles just added a nice crisp acidity to the meal as well!