Weekends are the time to experiment. You can start making dinner at 2 in the afternoon, and really develop some fun flavors. This dinner is time consuming because the ingredients are cold smoked before assembly. That means you can prep, put it on the grill to smoke, and hang out for 2-3 hours before actually cooking. The best bonus is you have smoky apples to snack on, and lots of smoked cheddar cheese for the week. All I can honestly say about this recipe is that the flavors are out of this world!
RECIPE: Smoked Tex-Mex Lasagna
Makes 4 Servings
Small Cast Iron Pan
Oven heated to 350
Pepper Jack Cheese
Arizona Gunslinger BBQ Sauce
Apples (for snacking)
1) Thickly slice the cheeses and slice the apples to desired thickness. I did a full 8 oz of cheddar cheese and about 3 oz of pepper jack.
2) Place cheeses, apples, and tortillas on the baking sheet.
3) Drain the corn and black beans before dumping into a bowl.
4) Light the smoking tube with the blow torch and set it on the grill. Let it rest covered for 10 minutes.
5) Place the bowl and baking sheet onto the smoky grill. Cover and let rest for 2-3 hours, or until the tube stops smoking.
6) Munch on the sliced apples as you prepare the rest of the ingredients for assembly.
7) In a food processor, puree the black beans.
8) In a small cast iron pan (same size as the tortillas), smear a bit of the black beans on the bottom of the pan.
9) Take the chunks of cheese and slice them thinner.
10) Place the first tortilla, spread a thin layer of Arizona Gunslinger BBQ sauce on it, place about 1/2 of the remaining black beans, a layer of corn, a layer of cheddar cheese, and then diced tomatoes.
11) Place another tortilla, spread a thin layer of Arizona Gunslinger BBQ sauce on it, add the rest of the black beans, the rest of the corn, then a layer of pepper jack cheese and the rest of the diced tomatoes.
12) Place the layered dish in a 350 degree oven. I forgot to set a timer, but it took about 40 minutes for the cheese to brown and everything to look perfect.
When you slice it to serve, it may not be the prettiest. I can honestly say that it will be out of this world delicious! Your mouth will salivate smelling the smoky deliciousness baking in your oven.